Lucinda Brady was born. She trained as a nurse at institutions in Germany, Switzerland and London.

Lucinda Brady’s heart goes out to a man crippled with tetanus.

Lucinda marries Dr. Robert Sullivan (a publisher, distinguished academic and founder of Sullivan Schools Co.Down).

Dr. Sullivan dies.

Lucinda almost drowns in a boating accident in Switzerland and decides to devote the remainder of her life to nursing and caring for crippled children, as a thank-offering to God for her rescue.

Lucinda is offered a large building on the Dargle Road in Bray. She writes a begging letter to The Daily Express asking for assistance in setting up a Cripples Home, and as a result, she receives £1,045 and opens “The Cripples Home” in Bray.

The Cripples Home is extended by a new wing with 24 beds.

The reputation of the Cripples Home has spread far and wide. William Gladstone visits (Prime Minister since 1868), and subsequent visits were made by his wife and Lady Powerscourt, the Queen of Romania and other VIPs.

Lucinda Sullivan’s health is failing and she realises her life is coming to a close. In preparation for her death she establishes an endowment fund in the name of her sister Louise Brady and leaves instructions for Louise to run the Home. Lucinda dies on 23rd August 1881 and her remains lie in Mount Jerome Cemetery, Harold’s Cross, Dublin.

Rules and Regulations for the Cripples Home were drawn up and officially approved in the High Court.

A new wing is built in memory of Lucinda to accommodate six girls with disabilities who grew up in the home.

The home is damaged by flood.

1914 – 1918
Many staff from the Home leave to nurse the wounded in the First World War.

Louise Brady (Lucinda’s sister) dies at the age of 98.
Lady Baden Powell visits the Home.

Name changes are considered, including ‘The Bray Suncure Home for Children’, ‘Sunshine House’ and finally, a few years later, ‘Sunbeam House’.

A ‘Suncure Balcony’ is opened to accommodate ten children, in the hope that the sun, fresh air, a nutritious diet and long convalescence would effect a good recovery. The Department of Health recognise and approve the care of children suffering from bone tuberculosis. Government grants were received for the first time.

The Home is damaged by flood again.

The Home is officially approved by the Board of Health for babies and children under 5 years of age.

The Home is badly damaged by fire.

The Department of Education recognise the Home as a “Special school for the care of educationally sub-normal Protestant children” – the first such residential home in the 26 counties. Children are sent to the Home for the first time by Local Authorities.

The official (legal) name of “Cripples Home” is changed to “Home for Handicapped Children”.

The original building on Dargle Road is sold and Vevay House (previously “Glenmalure Guest House”) on Vevay Road, Bray, is purchased.

Late 1960’s
Thanks to improving general health and the resultant decline in the number of children suffering physical diseases, it is decided to admit children with intellectual disabilities (mental handicap).

Sunbeam House Special National School is opened in the grounds of Vevay House, for children with intellectual disabilities. It later changes venue and a new school was built in the 90’s and becomes known as New Court School.

The school becomes the first multi-denominational and co-educational, special national school to be recognised by the Department of Education.

Sunbeam House Services Ltd. is established under the management of Mr. John Giles. A training centre is set up to train school leavers with intellectual disabilities to take part in open employment. The centre initially provides for nine trainees.

The training centre is officially opened by Dr. Patrick Hillery, President of Ireland.

The residents of Sunbeam House move from Vevay House to a series of community houses. The buildings remain in the ownership of the Trust.

“Youth Reach”, part of the Kildare and Wicklow Training Board, became tenants of Vevay House.

Sunbeam House Services built and opened the Taylor Conference Centre on the grounds of Vevay House and a social housing scheme called Lucinda Lodge which comprises of 13 self-contained apartments, a conference centre with full facilities, a board room and workshops.